On September 19, 1920 at 3:50 p.m. in the meeting house of the Regular Baptist Church, six interested and dedicated lay people met for the purpose of organizing and establishing a Missionary Baptist Church. Those present for the meeting were: Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Newman, Mr. M.V. Penix, Mrs. Ben Snoddy, Mrs. Lee Sedham, and Mrs. R.W. Nunley. A sermon was delivered by Rev. William C. Reeves, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Ashland.
The second organizational meeting was held the following week, September 26, 1920 for the purpose of completing the organization of the body and to select the articles of faith for the securing of a pastor. Twelve additional Christians were presented as charter members. These new members were: Mr. S. R. Renfroe, Miss Rosie Renfroe, Mrs. Sophia Renfroe Holbrook, Rev. and Mrs. M M. Newman, Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Penix, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Hunter, Miss Olga Newman and Mr. and Mrs. T. V. Crance. It was decided that the membership rolls would be open until October 31, 1920 for the purpose of allowing those becoming a part of the fellowship to be named as charter members.
By unanimous vote, the church adopted the Articles of Faith and Covenant found in Pendleton’s Church Manual. The New Testament was understood as the whole rule of the church in faith and practice. Mr. M.V. Penix and Mr. J.S. Newman were elected deacons. The church was named the Missionary Baptist Church of Fairview. The first pastor was Rev. W. C. Reeves who served from December 28, 1920 – July, 1921.
Ground was broken for the original building on March 25, 1924. The building was completed in 1928. At the close of the 1920’s, membership totaled 96.
The 1940’s saw growth in the form of building a parsonage, the first bus ministry, an educational wing and a baptistry.
During the 1950’s two missions were established. One was the Pollard Crossing Mission located on Iowa Street in Westwood and the other was a mission in Lloyd, Kentucky which still thrives today as the First Baptist Church of Lloyd.
The church voted on May 11, 1960 to go forward with plans to build a new church building. Construction began September of 1960. The church constitution was adopted in October of 1966. Easter Sunday, 1967, the first worship service was held in the current church auditorium.
In 1970 the free standing cross and the carillon system was added to the church building. The late 1970’s and 80’s were a time of testing. The church leadership began to earnestly seek direction from God.
Revitalization of the church, church growth, the addition of an education wing highlights the early 1990’s. The mid-to late 1990’s saw the beginning of a television program, “Message From Main Street” which was broadcast on our local Christian station, the balcony was renovated to increase additional seating capacity and another addition named the “Bailey Sadler Education and Office Complex.” It was in this addition that we added the elevator. Following much prayer, God allowed us to purchase much needed property to increase our parking in September of 2000.
The 2000's was a time of great mission work.
In 2002 Fairview partnered with Global Outreach to plant a church in Uganda to be named Fair View Baptist Church with founding pastor, Peter Eyadu.
In 2003 we became a sponsoring church for a church plant located in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky. The church was named Living Water Church and began meeting in the home of founding pastor and former member Grant Cannoy in August of 2003.
In 2006 along with the Kentucky Baptist Convention, Fairview sponsored a new work in Ashland, Ky. The church was named LifeSong with founding pastor and former member of Fairview, Keith Menshouse.
In 2003 and 2009 property was purchased beside the church building to be the future site of our Ministry and Outreach Center. After years of prayer and saving for this it became a reality in October of 2016 when it was dedicated and officially named the Michael D. Rice Ministry and Outreach Center.
Once again in 2018 we partnered with the Kentucky Baptist Convention to sponsor Cornerstone Community Church in Cannonsburg, KY with founding pastor and former member of Fairview, Bobby Ekers.
We feel that God is preparing Fairview for a great and mighty service in HIS name. As long as time as we know it continues, may Jesus Christ be glorified and His service and God’s will be done through the leading of the Holy Spirit at Fairview Baptist Church.